Here are some thoughts I had based on some observations I have made recently. Some of these thoughts I have mentioned before in articles such as “Thoughts on the “male panic”” and “Thoughts on the ‘WAM envy’ – a success story turned bad“.
I have always felt that there is a very unique and strange apprehension that has developed over the years. It is seldom mentioned or acknowledged but I see examples of it all the time. To me, it seems to be growing (though its “conveniently” overlooked). It involves a basic apprehension of the white male. I speak of this as the “WM apprehension”. I shall speak of the “white male” as WM in this article.
WHO IS THE WM (WHITE MALE)?
The white male appears to consist of Western European or Western European-descended males. When I first observed this phenomena I originally thought it was directed toward the White American Males or WAM. Now I know that it goes beyond that to Europe. More specifically, it refers to the white male originating from the Norse people (Germanic-Scandinavian) which make up Western Europe. There is special emphasis with the English or English-descended male. This fact, I feel, shows that the condition that created this phenomena is primarily developed by the English and is, therefore, centered upon them. From them it has spread to the American white male, in particular, who has continued and developed this phenomena even further. This fact shows that this phenomena largely reflects a cultural manifestation originating from the Western European male, specifically the English and English-descended male. As a result of them, it tends to center upon them as a group. This shows a tendency of what can be described as a ‘group centered tendency’. That is to say, this whole phenomena tends to center on the acts of a specific group of people who, accordingly, creates it and controls it. In addition, since it centers on them, as a group, this has been their main orientation, on themselves as a group, of their interests, of their concerns, and their world perception. It is a manifestation of their culture, primarily, which causes them to exclude other people as a result. This tendency would be used to villanize and ridicule the white male, particularly in recent times, often making this group out as tyrants and oppressors for example. In actuality, the ‘group centered tendency’ is a normal process that happens in human society. What makes this group different is that they have created something that had far-reaching and influential effects, and on much of the world. Normally, the creations of any ‘group centered tendency’ does not have such impact. As we’ll see later the fact that it did have such powerful effects IS the problem, not what they created or the exclusion of others.
The cultural element tends to focus much of this phenomena on the Western European or Western European descended male, but it is not necessarily exclusive to them. It can appear in other groups and nationalities but generally on a lesser level. It often appears in these other groups not because they are part of the phenomena itself but because they are somehow associated with the phenomena created by the WM. For example, they may be living in the same country or went to schools created by the WM where they develop qualities such as these:
In this way it can entail other groups of people such as the Celts (such as the Irish or Scottish), the Spanish, Italians, Greeks, Slavs, and Jews.
Interestingly, these all tend to physically resemble the white male to some extent. It seems a little harder for people who do not resemble the white male physically to be part of this group (the non-WM’s, such as oriental people, black people, and females). This shows that the physical appearance of the white male plays a critical role in all this showing a strong ‘group centered tendency’. This seems to have two origins:
- From the WM themselves. Because the creations of the WM were created by their culture they naturally tend to focus it upon themselves and exclude other people not in the group. It shows that this whole thing is related, and based, in a group mentality.
- From non-WM’s. Not being part of the WM culture they view themselves as “off to the side” and watch the WM at a distance. Because of this, they are not a part of it and removed. This often creates a strong “them versus us” mentality.
My observation, over the years, seems to show that this tendency is actually strongest with non-WM’s. In other words, it is the non-WM’s who display the greatest ‘group centered tendency’ primarily because they are not part of the group. In this way, the non-WM’s did a lot to create the “WM group” by segregating themselves as not being part of the group. In other words, they feel “left out”, so to speak, which made them single out the “WM” as a group (us versus them). The WM did not segregate themselves out as a group, it seems to me. Generally, the WM viewed themselves as only participating in his “WM culture”, oblivious of other people and its effects on other people.
THE “WM CULTURE”
Over the years, the WM created his own culture – the “WM culture”. This culture was the net result of hundreds of years of development in Western Europe. During this time many qualities have contributed to its makeup, such as:
- Neoclassicism (the revival of Greek and Roman classics which led to things like democracy and science).
- Norse mentality and traditions.
- Exploration (of the world and ideas).
It has basically developed traits similar to any culture, such as:
- A tendency where the “culture” becomes its own world independent of everything else. As a result, there is a tendency to as if live in their “own world” oblivious of everyone else.
- The culture is a manifestation of a group mentality (the WM). In other words, it is based in a bond between a particular group of people.
- This culture tends to be centered upon them, their concerns, and their world view.
- There is a tendency where they do not want other people, or things, intruding upon his culture.
Since it is a creation of the WM it revolves around them. In other words, “WM culture” is not a generalized culture reflecting the greater culture of society and definitely not of the world. It is primarily a reflection of a specific group of people. This fact reflects a number of things:
- That this point of view is found within the association or bond of a specific group of people. People who do not have this association or bond tend to not reflect it that well.
- That the association or bond of this group has a unique quality that creates it. In other words, this unique quality can’t really be replicated completely by people who are not a part of this group.
- That once this group disappears the association or bond disappears, the unique quality disappears, and what they created disappears with them. In other words, what the “WM culture” created will probably fall when they fall.
I should also point out that “WM culture” does not reflect all WM’s but only a minority of them. Many WM’s, in fact, have nothing to do with the “WM culture”. In this way,”WM culture” is sort of misleading. It really refers to a side of the WM that became particularly powerful and influential but it, by no means, reflects all WM’s.
In addition, with the varying qualities that have contributed to the “WM culture” there has developed many forms of it. It seems that most varieties of “WM culture” lie within and remain within the WM himself. That is to say, it entails qualities that are only a concern to the WM himself and, accordingly, has very little, if any, influence on others. In this way, it becomes a culture only they know. Most WM’s live in this form of culture.
One aspect of the culture, though, has gone way beyond the WM himself and has had great impact and influence, not only for other people but the world. This aspect of the “WM culture” is what created the modern world with all its organization, machines, inventions, etc. It is this aspect of the “WM culture” that I speak of here. This aspect of the “WM culture” has had so much influence, and wielded so much power, that many feelings, good and bad, have begun to revolve around it, one of which is the ‘WM apprehension’ . . .
ORIGINS OF THE APPREHENSION – THE ‘MODERN DILEMMA’
The ‘WM apprehension’ appears to have origin in the fact that the WM has played a large role in the creation of the modern world. This is particularly true with the English and English-descended males. Its almost as if the WM is associated with the modern world and is identified with it.
The creation of the modern world, though, has created a great dilemma for the world, what can be called the ‘modern dilemma’. It has done this for a number of reasons:
- It has been too successful.
- It has been too much impact.
- It primarily reflected the Western European male character.
- Because of the ‘group centered tendency’ they tended to emphasize only on themselves as a group, disregarding or leaving out everyone else.
The effects of these can range from good to bad. In a way, that is the ‘modern dilemma’: we’re looking at a system that has become too successful and, accordingly, has a lot of impact but its presence has had both good and bad effects making it difficult to determine if its good or not. The ‘modern dilemma’, in some respects, is like looking something that has become powerful and being unable to determine if its good or bad. Generally, if its good or bad depends on where you stand.
The influence of success
I’ve often said that the problem with the WM is that they have become too successful. In actuality, the WM has created the most successful systems in history: the modern world. Never, in the history of the world, has any one single group of people created so many successful elements and on so many different levels. Because of this I describe this as the “WM miracle”. One could very well say that the success of the modern world has been miraculous. In actuality, the ‘WM apprehension’ is based, and rooted, in this miracle.
The influence of being too impactful
This success of the WM, and the modern world, is seen on a multitude of levels:
This has made it so that the modern world has affected society as a whole, not just a small aspect of society. In this way, the success has affected many people in society and in the whole world as well. In other words, it has been very impactful on many people, many of which are not WM’s.
This success has been so great that what the WM has created has, in some cases, been forced onto people. This, of course, is one of the causes for much of the apprehension. At the same time, the “WM miracle” has caused great envy in people.
Unfortunately, for this miracle to happen there had to be great changes and effects, as a result. Some of these were good, some were not. Some were beneficial, some were tragic. This has caused a multitude of reactions ranging from good to bad, creating something like a spectrum. This spectrum would go something like this:
- Destructiveness. The modern world has done great destruction and damage and in many different way. One could describe an aspect of the modern world as tragic.
- Interference. The modern world has intruded and disrupted many things. In many cases, these have become damaging.
- Helping. The modern world has often help people even in small amounts.
- Benefitting. The modern world can often change things for the better. Many peoples lives has been improved, and even saved, by the modern world.
Since the WM is associated with the modern world the ‘WM apprehension’ tends to follow this spectrum as well.
The influence of the European Male Character
This dilemma reflects aspects of what I call the “male creation”. This refers to the things the male character created (see my article “Thoughts on the “male creation”“). In other words, the modern world is a ‘male creation’. As a result of this, it is inherently associated with the male and reflecting male character traits. In addition, being that it is created by the Western European male it reflects the character traits of these people. One of the effects of this is that it has left out the character traits of many people:
This exclusion would become a part of the ‘modern dilemma’. This is because the modern world would become so powerful and influential that it ended up affecting everyone. This is a side of the modern world no one, as far as I know, has mentioned. It created a problem where the modern world did not reflect most of the people it had power over. As a result, many people found themselves influenced by an “alien” power, so to speak, in which many people could not even relate to.
Because it is a “male creation” the modern world reflects many “male characteristics” such as:
- Great organization.
- A tendency to comradery for the males, which can create an attitude of exclusiveness.
- An orientation of confronting the world.
- A tendency to control things.
- Aspects of protecting ones self, family, and country, which often means a willingness to violence.
- Creativity and innovation.
These qualities, of course, has had good and bad aspects with them and have had great impact on the perception of the modern world and the WM. In this way, one could say that the ‘modern dilemma’ is really a dilemma created by the “male creation”. To be more precise, the ‘modern dilemma’ is really the dilemma of what the WM created.
The emphasis on the WM as a group
The ‘group centered tendency’ made the modern world exclusively a WM-made thing. As a result, the tendency was for these things to happen:
- Only they played a part.
- Only they benefitted.
- Its effects on non-WM’s, good or bad, tended to be disregarded.
In this way, there was a tendency that it was exclusive to the WM alone. Though a lot has been made out of this its really no different than a lot of other things in the world that people create, where they see it as “theirs” and do not want other people to possess it. The general stance of the WM is that it was created for themselves, not everyone else. In normal situations, this would of been the case. But their creation proved to be too powerful. Many WM’s, I think, never had any notion that it would become as powerful as it was. To be frank, I think the WM was caught off guard by it all and still does not know how to react to his creation and the power it contains.
THE APPEARANCE OF THE APPREHENSION – THE REACTION TO POWER
I’ve noticed the peculiar form of MW apprehension for decades. It appears in such a unique and odd way that I could never quite put my finger on it. Being a part of the WM group I was often stunned at the weird suppositions and opinions people had about us. I have seen many people look at me in specific ways:
- As a threat. I’m looked at as someone who it trying to undermine them, enslave them, degrade them, and even destroy them. Oftentimes, I have no idea why or where they got this idea from.
- As someone to hate. I was often stunned how I was viewed with hatred as if I were a tyrant or someone who tries to control everybody or as someone who wanted to manipulate other people.
- As someone who has all these benefits they don’t have. That is to say, I’m treated as if I am ‘upper class’ even though I don’t make that much money (nor am I in a family that does). Accordingly, they view themselves as ‘lower class’, in comparison, or as impoverished. Apparently, the WM is supposed to have all this “stuff” that they don’t have.
- As someone to try to outdo and to compete against. I was often stunned how people seemed to compete with me for no apparent reason. I’ve jokingly said that being a WM reminds me of the story where the best gunfighter in the Old West is always being challenged all the time by people trying to be better than he is. After awhile, he quit being a gunfighter as a result.
- As someone who is supposed to know everything. Some people seemed to think that I had all the answers and was supposed to know everything. I remember a kid I knew in High School and Trade School who always seemed to think I had these answers. Where he got this idea I don’t know. He also was competing with me as well, trying to know more than he.
Here we can see a whole range of effects from a threat to someone who knows everything. That’s quite a range, from bad to good. This quality is common with the ‘WM apprehension’, as I’ll mention below. Even though it had a range from a threat to emulation, it generally has a quality of an apprehension in it somewhere, I’ve found. In this way, it often has a love/hate quality. This gives it a very unique quality, consisting of mixed feelings that are often contradictory (of a feeling of being threatened mixed with a desire to imitate, for example). This could be described as an ‘apprehensive contradiction’, which seems very unique to this phenomena. This contradiction pervades opinions and attitudes about the modern world.
This contradiction is created by the ‘modern dilemma’. Since the “WM miracle” has created the modern world the WM is perceived as being involved with the creation of all the good points and bad points of the modern world and, therefore, tends to be identified with both qualities. In this way, this contradiction tends to permeate the ‘WM apprehension’. The WM can be looked at in the same contradictory way. Some examples of the contradiction include:
- The success of the modern world has created an envy toward the WM.
- The problems of the modern world has created a fear of the WM.
Envy can create:
- Hatred and dislike.
- Feelings of being left out.
- A desire to emulate and imitate.
Fear can create:
- Hatred and dislike.
- A blind fear.
- A desire to destroy.
Much of which stance you take tends to depend on where you stand. It often seems to appear in these ways:
- If one is benefitted by it then one generally looks at the “WM miracle” as a system (that is, as technology, government, etc. . . . it is generally devoid of a human face).
- If one is adversely affected by it then the “WM miracle” is viewed as the act of a person, the WM himself. Because of this, the WM is attacked personally as tyrants, oppressors, and such . . . the “WM miracle” is viewed as having a human face. This is another example of the wide range of this phenomena.
The ‘WM apprehensive’ can be directed in a number of ways:
- Directed toward the person of the WM. This could be the King, President, Official, or just a WM in general.
- Directed toward the institutions created by the WM. This could be the government, business, military, and such.
- Directed toward the creations created by the WM. This could be the machines, knowledge, weaponry, and such.
This shows this phenomena is not necessarily based around the person of the WM but everything the WM has created or is a part of. This further shows that this phenomena is based in the cultural manifestations of a specific group of people, which made them create a specific reality and condition.
The ‘WM apprehension’ primarily revolves around not being part of the “power”. In some respects, its just another “power game” or “King of the mountain” game, where people without power want to have the power;. They see the people with “power” and want it. This is why the example I gave above, of the Old West gunfighter, is so appropriate. To me, in its simplist form, the ‘WM apprehension’ appears to be nothing but a “King of the mountain” game. The WM created the power (of the modern world). Now everyone else wants it. The “apprehension”, then, is actually a mixture of:
- Feeling intimidated by the power.
- Not having the power.
- Wanting the power.
In this way, we see that the issue does, in fact, revolve around “power”. Looking at it this way we can see the effects of power:
- The fear of what power can do.
- Of not having power.
- Of feeling threatened by those in power.
- Of not trusting those with the power.
Overall, this creates a sense of “apprehension”. In other words, ‘WM apprehension’ is an apprehension caused by the existence of a new form of power.
Many WM’s, in my opinion, are not fully aware of what the “WM miracle” has done. Most, from my experience, tend to look at it casually, as just “something new”. Its just a “new idea”, a “new invention”, a “new business venture”, etc. In other words, they do not fully realize the effects their creations has created. In this way, the WM is often the one who least see’s its effects.
But the power of the “WM miracle” (the modern world) is very impactful and influential. Never, in the history of the world, has any one single thing been so impactful in the world. In some respect, the WM bit off more than he can chew. The power of the “WM miracle” turned out to be far more influential than he ever thought. He was unprepared for it (everyone was, I think). But now “the genie has been let out of the bottle”.
Interestingly, the general attitude of the WM, in my opinion, was in creating not in controlling power . . . he created the modern world. The effects of it, though, he did not know how to handle. In this way, the WM found himself at a loss. The ‘WM miracle’ went so beyond the WM’s capabilities that even many WM’s began to condemn his own creation and see it in a bad light.
So, we see, that the ‘WM miracle’ put the WM in a precarious position. He created something with so much power that not even he knew how to control it. This would put many WM’s against the ‘WM miracle’.
But for the non-WM’s it created whole other conflicts. They basically saw a power rise above them that had these effects:
- They were affected by.
- They were not a part of it.
The most significant factor was how they were affected by it. If they benefitted from it they generally accepted it. If they did not benefit then they condemned it. If they condemned it then they generally made issues out of ‘not being a part of it’.
Eventually, though, the modern world began to wield so much power and influence that everyone else felt that they were not a part of it. This caused things like this:
- A feeling of being left out that hit deep. This was often draped in political/legal jargon. For example, they were “discriminated against”, it was “racist”, etc.
- A tendency of imitation the WM by non-WM’s (see below). This, interestingly, would cause a tendency for people to destroy their own identity.
In effect, everyone wanted to be a part of the new “power” of the “WM miracle” to the point that they would use (or, rather, warp) law to get it or they would deny who they are to “appear” to be a part of it.
THE COLD WAR CONNECTION
The feeling of being adversely affected by the “WM miracle” became particularly strong after the cold war where the great power of the modern world was being demonstrated. This was particularly as a result of the threat of nuclear annihilation and of complete destruction at the hands of weapons of destruction that was created by the WM. As a result of this, ‘WM apprehension’ is often related to cold war themes and would be deeply bound up with themes originating there, such as:
- Anti-war sentiment. The WM would be viewed as a ‘war-monger’ and threat.
- The destructiveness of war. The WM would be associated with war, the weapons of war, and destruction in general.
- The idea of oppression. The WM would be molded into the oppressors, of people who controlled other people.
- The idea of democracy and people rule. The cold war caused a glorification of American ideals, of democracy and people rule. This also catered to the feeling that non-WM’s were ‘not a part’ of the ‘WM miracle’. The idea of democracy and people rule gave a way for non-WM’s to either be a part of the “WM miracle” or it would be used as a defence against it. This appears to be one reason that gave the idea, for example, that non-WM’s should “rule” which was often glorified as a great cause.
The cold war, then, is very much related to an anti-WM attitude that continues down to this day. In some respects, the cold war turned the WM into a “bad guy” to many people. Not only that, the cold war gave this idea that the WM was a person who couldn’t be trusted, that the WM are war-mongers and oppressors, for example.
In some respects, the cold war gave an outlet for the feelings of being adversely affected or ‘not a part of’ the “WM miracle”. It gave means, and themes, to vent these feelings. It also created a false image of the WM that continues to this day. In short, the cold war associated these feelings with politics and law.
THE SUPPRESSION OF THE WM – CREATING A MALE CRISIS
Because of the success and power of the “WM miracle”, with its success and problems, there has developed a tendency to suppress the WM and in many different ways. This is because the WM is equated with the problems of the ‘modern dilemma’. Its as if suppressing the WM will suppress the problems of the modern world. Often this suppression, is associated with ‘the minority and female versus the WM’ myth.
The success of the weapons of war as a result of the cold war, in particular, has seemed to cause great apprehension of the WM. It has made these associations:
- WM = war
- WM = destruction
These associations has been very prevalent since the Vietnam War in the late 60’s-early 70’s. In fact, it seems to of caused an “organized effort” to suppress the WM as I, myself, have seen. Because of this, there has been great effort to “suppress” the male as a person, as well as male associated things.
This suppression has gone to many aspects of the male character, such as:
- Not allowing any weapons, even toy weapons.
- Not allowing an form of anger or anything violent.
- Not allowing any form of social hierarchy.
- Not allowing any form of control.
The effect of this is to basically turn the male is turned into a vegetable who must “sit there”. In addition, he is taught attitudes that are the opposite of these male character traits, such as learning peacefulness at all costs, not being angry, being “democratic” to destroy a supposed desire to control, teaching that to shoot a gun is bad, etc.
Other ways of male suppression include:
- The WM is degraded in some way. Often this entails trying to portray them as bad or tyrants or something similar.
- Trying to replace the WM. They often will try to replace him by becoming the WM, emulating what he does and how he does it, what I often call being the “new WM”.
- They try to put the WM in a “non-existence” stance. The WM is treated as if he does not exist and, in a way, forgotten. This is often what happens with ‘righteous imitation’ (see below).
- They try to accuse and blame the WM for everything. All the problems of the world are the WM’s fault. I was often appalled how the WM was blamed for everything in the world, as if the WM is responsible for it all. This includes war, overpopulation, poverty, disease, etc. In many ways, the WM has become the scapegoat for the worlds problems for many people. Whatever the problem, its the WM’s fault. Its become a joke for me, even, to always say “blame it on the white male . . . he’s at fault for everything”.
- They turn the WM into a tyrant, oppressor, or villain. He becomes the “bad guy”. This is often assumed by people, often automatically. In actuality, this is usually just a form of stereotyping the WM (see below).
- They favor non-WM’s, even though the WM is more qualified or better. I’ve seen this many times and, myself, have been the victim of it. To be frank, watching this has destroyed by belief in this society.
Overall, then, what we see is a great attempt at trying to “take the WM out of society” or in “demasculanizing” society. This is often done under the guise of democracy and freedom. That is to say, under the guise of self-righteous cause. I’ve even seen references by people (such as liberals and feminists) that the suppression of the male will bring peace and harmony in the world. In other words, the apprehension of the WM, as a result of the conditions caused by the ‘WM miracle’, has created points of view that the suppression (and even elimination!) of half the world (namely, the male) would end much of the worlds problems!
These points of view would become particularly prevalent after the end of the cold war in about 1990. The younger generation of males (even to this day) would particularly be demasculanized. This shows how the suppression of the WM has turned into a suppression of the male in general. In other words, the success of what the “WM miracle” created has caused a movement to the destruction of the male. In this way, something like a male crisis has been created, of a society that has become pitted itself against the male. So we see a pattern like:
- The WM creates the modern world (the “WM miracle”).
- Non-WM’s feel adversely affected by the modern world.
- The weapons of war, caused by the Cold War in particular, creates particularly harsh feelings against the modern world.
- This is then associated with the WM.
- The villanizing, condemning, and suppression of the WM is begun.
- These feelings spread to the male in general.
- The male, overall, is suppressed.
This more or less says that the power of the modern world, a creation of the WM, has been so strong that it has caused a reaction against the male in general.
This suppression has gone on to a general shunning of the WM, in general, in ways such as:
- The problems of the WM are not acknowledged or dealt with.
- The WM are ignored.
- The WM is treated as a non-entity.
- The WM is not helped.
- The WM is not inspired or given confidence.
- The WM are treated as if they have no value.
It seems that this shunning has turned into a generalized neglect. Some of this neglect has become almost unreal to me. I am particularly bothered to see little boys neglected and shunned in these ways. I’ve seen quite a number of boys, in some families, so neglected that they are treated as if they don’t even exist! In fact, I’ve found that the lives of many young boys have become a life of neglect. I see this wherever I go. Many boys, I have found, have sought a refuge in things, such as computer games or the fantasy land of books or movies, as a means to have “some value” in life, where something they do matters and where they are a somebody. Many boys are starting to develop mental problems as a result. In fact, I do believe I’m seeing many mental problems in boys, nowadays, that appear to be a direct result of this neglect. I have been utterly appaled how this crisis in the lives of young boys is so neglected and treated as if it does not exist . . . all a part of the shunning and neglect the WM has received.
Many adult WM’s will confront this shunning and neglect as well (many have been brought up with it). Many WM’s will find themselves in a society that often doesn’t seem all that supportive of him or seems to want him (such as see my article “Thoughts on being a “surplus human” – the importance of self-deception“). Some of the things this has caused are:
In short, we see that the WM becomes a degraded person as a result. Often, this is blamed on various things or he’s just called an “ass” or something. There is a tendency to not see that it has a deeper origin. So we see that the shunning and neglect of the WM has had great and tragic effects on the WM.
‘THE MINORITY AND FEMALE VERSUS THE WM’ MYTH
With the dilemma of the cold war many of the non-WM’s (minorities or females) often viewed themselves as
- Being victimized by the WM.
- That they are the ‘saviors’ of the world in some way, usually with the idea that they will reverse the effects of the “WM miracle”.
As a result, there has developed a point of view that society is the minority and female versus the WM. This is, of course, a myth and a product of cold war hysteria and mania. Because of this, I call it ‘the minority and female versus the WM’ myth. It is a myth that non-WM’s have created. If anything, it shows the power the ‘WM miracle’ had. In other words, its a manifestation of the power issues caused by the ‘WM miracle’ (see above).
This myth has gone so far that it has been put into law. In some cases, employers and government must employ so many minorities and females, for example, regardless of their qualifications. I, myself, was told that I was excluded from the U.S. Army because I was not minority or female (see my article “Some thoughts on why I consider the U.S. a fallen country – denying its own people“). This scenario, as I’d find out, is far more prevalent than I realized. It had created a condition where minorities and females are given ‘special privilege’ because they are NOT WM’s. In this way, something like a ‘reverse discrimination’ is created (though professing to be against discrimination). This often appears in a number of ways, such as:
- Non-WM’s are accepted into things (such as jobs).
- Non-WM’s opinions are listened to. I’ve sat and watched how many WM’s are ignored and have been a victim of that as well.
- There is an assumption that non-WM’s will be better leaders and such.
In some respects, its created a myth that minorities and females are better or superior than the WM, even though the WM created everything. Observing this over the years has been rather comical as they tend to think they are better than the WM but all they are doing is imitating him. In other words, they think they are better than the people they are imitating! It sort of has a quality of an actor thinking they are better than the person they are portraying because they think they can imitate him better. This has always made me chuckle . . . its sort of hypocritical. This tendency to think they are better than the people they are imitating I often call the ‘righteous imitation’. It is common with non-WM’s.
This tendency to ‘righteous imitation’ is a good example of the contradictory qualities of the ‘apprehensive contradiction’: It shows a fear mixed with an envy. They both are frightened by the “WM miracle” but are envious and want to emulate or imitate the WM. In fact, it is the fact that the non-WM’s display continually display this type of behavior that most convinced me that this was a WM phenomena. Originally, I viewed the “WM miracle” as just a system, the modern world. The continual observation of the ‘righteous imitation’ convinced me that this was about a specific group of people. There was the WM group and then everyone else, and that this revolved around this specific group of people which everyone else was apprehensive about but wanted to imitate. If it was not for this I would of viewed everything as ‘just the modern world’.
WM IMITATION . . . THE ‘WM IMITATIVE SOCIETY’
The success of the “WM miracle” has caused a tendency to try to imitate the WM, a-try-and-become-the-WM stance. In fact, I would be inclined to say that society has become what I call an ‘WM imitative society’. That is to say, much of what is done is to have or do what the WM does.
This tendency to imitation seems to show a number of things in the people who demonstrate it:
- It shows a sense of not being part of the group.
- It shows an envy.
- It shows a sense of powerlessness.
- It shows a sense of being threatened.
This makes non-WM’s very aware that they are not part of the group. Because of this they feel ‘left out’, ‘neglected’, and such. This can go so far that they claim that they turn it into a political/legal issue, such as that it is ‘discrimination’ or ‘oppression’, etc. It also creates a great effort to try to imitate or, rather, replicate the WM.
In my opinion, the imitation of the WM by people is actually degrading them, regardless of how successful they appear to be at doing the same as the WM. In other words, one of the great things that is undermining people, nowadays, is the imitation of the WM. This fact, I don’t feel, is fully acknowledged or noticed by people. I’m under the impression, at this time, that a lot of the destruction of belief, culture, and religion in people is not because the modern world destroyed it but because the people destroyed it themselves in order to be a part of the modern world. In other words, imitation of the WM, by people, has been very destructive.
I’ve noticed that people who imitate the WM never seem to develop his qualities, though they may “do” what he does. Typically, they only repeat what he does. This more or less shows that imitation is not the means to power.
Another aspect of imitation is trying to “get into” the club. That is to say, they try to get into the modern world and, thereby, gain its power. This, it seems to me, works much better and is how most non-WM’s have gained “power”.
THE “BOND” BETWEEN WM’S – A TENDENCY TO EXCLUDE NON-WM’S
I, myself, notice that the is a particular “bond” between WM’s that is not seen with non-WM’s. When this “bond” is made it seems as if a ‘magic’ can sometimes happen. In other words, I have often felt that the ‘WM miracle’ is a result of a cultural bond between WM’s. If this is the case, then it shows that a lot of the “WM miracle” is a result of a cultural manifestation.
One effect of this bond is that it tend to cause a natural tendency to exclude people who do not emulate this bond. Its often interpreted in the cold war way, which usually has political/legal manifestations:
- That it is discrimination.
- That it is oppression.
- That the WM deliberately conspired, for malicious reasons, to harm them.
None of this is true, as near as I can tell. In actuality, it is a natural human process that everyone does (such as females tend to stay in a group and minorities tend to stay in their group). The exclusion of others, by the WM, is really nothing but a manifestation of “a bird of a feather flocks together” that everyone does. Of course, everyone else isn’t dealing with the power that the WM “bond” created.
Sometimes, the bond is so strong that anyone who is not an WM is perceived as destructive to the bond causing a despising-like reaction. Also, anyone trying to emulate an WM is despised (even I feel this). I know this from personal experience. As a result, there is often an attempt at ‘safeguarding the WM bond’ which can, at times, be very strict and severe.
Often, non-WM’s are often not accepted because of things like this:
- They are not part of the ‘WM miracle’.
- They do not have the attitude.
- They are not part of the social structure.
Since the modern world is so powerful and impacts everyone this WM bond created a problem. This is because it excluded non-WM’s. The idea of democracy helped undermine this and, in a way, ended up destroying the bond and, eventually, the WM. In short, then, the fall of the WM bond became the fall of the WM.
THE ENIGMA OF AUTHORITY FOR THE WM
The WM, being the creator of the modern world, has a position of authority. As a result, he has the problems of authority. As is often said “the position of power is the loneliness position of all”. This is because authority has particular qualities:
- No one helps.
- He’s blamed for everything bad.
- He is viewed as unreachable.
- He is given no sympathy or support. This has created an attitude of “indifference” toward the WM, which is one of the reasons why no one notices this problem. He has been turned into “non-existence”. This sense is no doubt the origin of a statement I often hear from WM’s: “We help them but no one will help us”. He is given no sympathy or support in the same way parents and he government are not given sympathy or support by the children or people.
This is particularly a problem because the WM is given the same attitudes of one who is in authority but he, in reality, is not in authority. In fact, no one is in authority over the modern world. The modern world is really a beast with a life all its own. In other words, the WM is treated as if he is in authority, with the same attitudes, when he actually has no authority.
These attitudes show that the WM is associated with the image of authority. But, as I said, its an authority he does not have. It shows that the image of the WM is only an image. Its not a real person.
THE ‘WM ALIENATION’
Oddly, the WM have found themselves alienated in the very world they created. Many WM’s are finding themselves detached from it and unable to adapt so much that they are having difficulty dealing with it. In fact, I tend to believe that there has developed a sickness, a ‘WM alienation’, that is slowly beginning to define the modern WM. In many ways, a modern WM has now become an alienated WM. He has found himself lost, detached, and uprooted in a society that has begun to shun (or suppress) him.
One aspect of this alienation is the orientation the WM has had toward it all. In general, the WM creates and establishes. The non-WM’s utilize. Because of this, the WM’s have a hard time “fitting into” the very world they created. They often have a hard time utilizing what they created. Its not uncommon that the non-WM’s do better here. As a result, many WM’s find themselves creating stuff only to have it taken from them as I, myself, have observed.
But the WM has also been alienated because of the “WM apprehension” which has begun to shun, suppress, and neglect him (as described above). In this way, the society has begun to alienate the male, often turning him into a nobody or non-entity. I’ve often been stunned by this and how it is completely bypassed and looked over as if nothing happened.
THE MODERN WORLD WITH A HUMAN FACE – THE WM,AND THE ROYAL CONNECTION
Oftentimes, the modern world is not viewed as a “thing” or “system” but as something being identical to its creators, the WM, as if they are the same thing. In other words, the modern world is perceived as having a human face: the WM. This tendency of seeing the modern world with a human face no doubt has origin in the King, particularly in English culture where the King was viewed in this light. All the problems of society were viewed as being the Kings fault, as if he had done it himself on his own accord. With this point of view the authority of the modern world was then viewed in the same way. In this way, the WM would also be blamed for all the frustrations, angers, and feelings that the modern world created. So we see that the royal tradition of England would be continued with the modern world and the WM.
To go even further, the WM has received a similar sentence as King Charles I, who was beheaded during the English Civil War, after being blamed for the countries problems. One could say that the WM was “beheaded” by his supression and degradation.
THE DEGRADATION OF THE WM BY THE WM THEMSELVES
A big element of the degradation of the WM has been initiated by the WM himself! My observation is that they are contributing to a lot of their own fall as well as the fall of the “WM miracle”. This is done by things like:
- Christian attitudes. These tend to create an attitude of self-undermining and self-degradation which also would entail a belief in their own suppression and degradation (“we’re all sinners!).
- Democracy and freedom. As mentioned above, these themes were often used to degrade the image of the WM as an authority and for non-WM’s to get in the power of the “WM miracle”.
- The self-defeating male. Recently, the male has created many self-defeating attitudes that only undermine him (see my article “Thoughts on the self-defeating quality in the post-WWII American male – the coming of the ‘nothing male’“).
- The pussy whipped attitude. This reflects a general attitude of the male (see my article “Thoughts on the American pussy whipped coward male . . .“).
- Their attack and rebellion against the older generation, which became particularly prevalent after about 1970. By attacking the older generation they as if undermined themselves by taking away their foundation.
- The abandonment of values and beliefs.
- The lack of organized cohesion. That is to say, they ceased working together.
- Since everyone is competing with them they get tired of it and take a layed back stance (see the story of the gunfighter above).
Much of these attitudes are a direct response to the 1970’s. In other words, as a result of the 1970’s many WM’s joined the non-WM’s in condemning the “WM miracle” and, in so doing, undermined themselves in the process.
Overall, the WM has lost his dignity as a result of the “WM miracle”. This is a reflection of the power and problems it created.
THE FEMALE AND THE WM
The American female, in particular, has developed both a strong envy and fear/apprehension of the WM. They tend to envy and fear the male. Generally, though, a female will lean toward one or the other. This has became particularly strong after the cold war.
The envy of the WM is now so strong that the American female is now going through a great “campaign” of trying to make the female the same as the WM (see my article, “Thoughts on the female and Victorian society – “being Victorian green” – the females envy of the male and the ‘female envy culture’“). A common thing for me to say, nowadays, is: “It won’t be too long before the female is going to be nothing but a pathetic caricature of the male”. For many American females this is already true. This tendency is also helped by the problem with the female identity in this country (see my article “Thoughts on the ‘failed sex’ – how many female traits have failed – a hidden crisis of the American female“). What this shows is that WM envy is a now a significant element in the destruction of the female identity. In trying to be like a WM they only destroy themselves. So we see that one effect of the “WM miracle” is the destruction of the female identity.
In addition, with the suppression of the WM that has taken place, many females have jumped in to fill the gap by trying to be the “new WM’s”. This has created a whole group of females who are “aping” the male. Many of them are trying to “outdo” or “outperform” the WM. In fact, some are trying to replace him. Many females are basically trying to have the same “glory” the WM has, or what they think he has. Many have made this a political and legal issue, in fact, almost like its some sort of a cause. Think of it . . . trying to be like a man as a great political and righteous cause. Unbelievable!
As stated above, part of the “WM miracle” is fear and apprehension. Many females have particularly demonstrated quite an extensive fear and apprehension. In fact, for some females their fear and apprehension of the WM is so strong that they have become a significant force in trying to suppress the WM and in trying to demasculanize him. So another effect of the “WM miracle” is that is has made some females try to “castrate” the male. Unbelievable!
Many of the reactions of the female toward the “WM miracle” have been almost unreal to me and seem rather ridiculous and overplayed. In fact, I’d say that the females have taken the ‘WM apprehension’ to the most ridiculous and absurd extent, more than anyone else.
TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE “WM MIRACLE” BY NON-WM’S – CREATING THE “NEW WM’S”
Because of the success of the “WM miracle” there has been extensive attempts at taking advantage of it by non-WM’s. These include people like females, minorities, immigrants, etc. Many (like the females, as stated above) are actively trying to be the “new WM’s”.
Many things have allowed, and facilitated, the creation of the “new WM’s”:
- Law (they use principles like rights, equality, and such).
- The reliance on the society and system created by the WM.
- By imitating and acting like “new WM’s”.
One could say that there has been an extensive “campaign” to create the “new WM’s” in this society and much of the world. One could probably even say that, to some extent, some non-WM’s are competing with the WM’s, trying to outdo them. I would even go so far to say that there are many non-WM’s trying to knock the WM off so they could gain their power. In other words, the “WM miracle” has created a tendency for some non-WM’s to start a power struggle with the WM.
The creation of the “new WM’ has caused a deteriation, in my opinion, in the “WM miracle”. This would more or less say that the fall of the WM bond is the fall of the “WM miracle”. In my opinion, the “new WM’s” will eventually destroy the “WM miracle”. This is primarily because they do not reflect the WM character. Everyone is only trying to get in on its power and influence. They are only “playing the game”.
In this way, we could say that we are in a “post WM miracle” era. Its seems, to me, that everyone is riding on the system the “WM miracle” created (which is strong at the moment) but the originality and creativity that created it is fading. This may largely be caused by non-WM’s or WM’s who degraded themselves. As a result, it will slowly fall over time. Because of this, I tend to see the “post WM miracle” era as a slow fall of the “WM miracle”. Everything, now, is standing on the shoulders of what the “WM miracle” created. That is to say, its a continuation of what’s already there by people trying to imitate it for themselves. In short, they are as if trying to “cash in”, and repeat, the glory of the “WM miracle” so they can have it for themselves. This creates a “want-to-be” attitude in the non-WM’s. In actuality, the “new WM” is nothing but a “want-to-be”. This is one of the things that I noticed that was quite prevalent. In fact, I find it insulting, watching people try to imitate us. By far the worst are many females, many who have become, as I said above, a “pathetic caricature of the male”. In many cases, this has reached joke proportions. In my opinion, its one of the things that have turned the American female into a joke.
WM APPREHENSION AND THE UNDERMINING OF SOCIETY
I tend to believe that ‘WM apprehension’ has had an undermining effect on society. This is basically because of things like this:
- The WM has built the society.
- The WM has created its ideals.
- The WM has been its authority and guided all this.
- It falsely attacks people.
- It causes unnecessary divisions in society.
- It creates myths.
- It undermines the male and male traits, which are needed in society.
- It creates a want-to-be attitude in non-WM’s.
In some sense, the attack on the WM has a quality of attacking society. After years of observation, I believe this to be true in Western society. One could compare it to the attack on the older generation in the 1970’s and the effect it had. Basically, when you attack and condemn your predecessors, existing authority, existing tradition, etc. you literally pull the carpet from under your feet. This is basically what ‘WM apprehension’ did.
STEREOTYPING THE WM
There has been a lot of stereotyping of the WM as a result of this apprehension. That is to say, much of the apprehension is directed toward viewing the WM a certain way as a whole. In other words, we are all equated the same, as if we are all the same type of person.
This, of course, is not true.
In actuality, very few WM’s has had any great involvement in the modern world. Most WM’s are not the great creators of the modern world people seem to think they are and most have actually played no, or little part, in the “WM miracle”. Most WM’s are just working people, just like everyone else in the world, doing nothing special. Just to give some examples . . . if I look at some of the people I know I see several truck drivers, a miner, a sheepherder, indoor painters, a chef, a farmer . . . nothing particularly dramatic, nor is it a great involvment in the “WM miracle”. None of these jobs are high paying or prestigious or give us great power. In other words, there is no “favoritism” displayed there. Despite this, people still stereotype the WM a specific way, as if we have all have special privelage, high paying glamorous jobs, great benefits, and so on. I’ve not seen a lot of evidence of that. I often wish I had what a lot of people think we have.
Regardless its almost unreal what people do. One person may try to imitate us (such as females). Another person may turn us into “bad people” (such as minorities). We also always tend to be accused of things none of us have anything to do with (such as slavery or some form of oppression). I’ve often been stunned by stuff like this. I’ve been particularly appalled how we are accused of stereotyping people but it is THEY, in actuality, that are stereotyping us by assuming we’re all the same!
But everyone sees us as a group, as a whole, as if we are all the same . . . if one person has it we all do! And because I’m a WM I must have it too! I think I have had about enough of this nonsense that I can take.
JUST ANOTHER “HAVE-HAVE NOT” ISSUE
In many ways, this whole thing is nothing but a “have-have not” issue. I personally think that this whole situation is similar to the storyline that is seen in the 1980 show called “The gods must be crazy”. In this movie a bushman in the Kalahari Desert finds a Coke bottle. He takes it back to his tribe and soon everyone is fighting to have it. The bottle causes anger, envy, hatred, and violence in the tribe that never had these problems before. Because of the problems it has caused they decide to have one of the bushman travel to the edge of the world and throw the bottle off.
We see a similar theme to the movie. The WM created a world that proved very successful and, accordingly, they are the “possessors” of it. Everyone else looked on at it all, and all it contained, and felt lacking or deprived. This created envy and jealousy which made everyone upset. As a result, they are doing whatever they can to “have” it. But, in so doing, they are destroying themselves with it. Its too bad we can’t have someone throw all this off the edge of the world like in the movie.
Really, we are seeing the problems of envy and jealousy of the “have-have not” dilemma. Several issues of this dilemma include:
- What do the people who “have” do? Should they give to the “have not’s”?
- How envy and jealousy in the people who “have not” cause bad feelings in people. The hatred, dislike, desire to be like, want, etc. that they feel.
This is on of the great unanswered dilemma’s in life. This dilemma is seen in every society, at least in some form. Attempts have been made to try to prevent its problems but nothing, really, has worked that well (charity, Communism/socialism, laws, etc.). What, then, is the answer?
In some respects, the nature of the dilemma is what causes the problems. It creates tensions and conflicts in people and society. Does giving to the “have not’s” really solve anything after all these tensions and conflicts have appeared? I don’t think so. This dilemma seems inherent in human society. Once its solved, another one comes in to take its place. The problems created by the “WM miracle” is one in a long list. Its unique, so far, in that it has been rather extensive, dramatic, and worldwide.
There seems to be several ways at dealing with the “have-have not” problem:
- Dealing with the actual “have-have not” problem.
- Dealing with the bad feelings its caused.
The reaction to the “WM miracle”, it seems to me, is primarily dealing with the bad feelings it has caused not in dealing with the problem it caused. This, I my opinion, is what made it so damaging. But bad feelings are just bad feelings and generally only caused discontent, which is exactly what happened. It seems, to me, that bad feelings dominate the “WM miracle”, particularly by the non-WM’s, and is primarily how this problem is dealt with. Accordingly, this is why it never works and has turned it into a bigger problem.
THE DETERIORATION OF THE “WM CULTURE”
The success of the “WM miracle”, and all its reactions, has caused a deterioration, and even fall, of the “WM culture”. Since the “WM culture” created the modern world, and all it contains, its fall will probably have great impact on the modern world, which is exactly what its starting to look like to me. This is for a number of reasons:
- The fall of the “WM culture” is the fall of the modern world as they are intimately connected.
- The non-WM’s attempt at trying to imitate the “WM culture” isn’t that effective. They do not have the quality, mentality, and such, that makes up the “WM culture”.
What this would suggest is that we are in a transition phase moving us into a “post modern world”. This transition phase reflects these qualities:
- The “WM culture” falls.
- People will try to imitate the “WM miracle”, sometimes with success, but never completely imitating it.
- Being that the modern world is still active its effects will still be felt. In a way, we will be”riding on the back of what earlier generations created”.
- The ingenuity and originality of the modern world will slowly fade. Anything “new” will primarily be nothing but a continuation, development, or elaboration of things already existing. These will be probably still be called “progress” but nothing new or original will really be created. This, it seems to me, is a defining trait, already, of this century. People think all this technology is new and original but its really not. Its primarily elaboration and development of things already existing. I am also seeing less and less original and new ideas in many areas and fields. Many things, such as “new theories”, is nothing but a restating of existing ideas. In fact, I often jokingly say that we are in the “era of restatement”.
After this transition phase a “post modern world” would appear. This would mean a number of things:
- The ingenuity, and original thinking, of the modern world will be over.
- That people will live in the “effects” of the modern world that are still existing. In other words, the modern world will just be something that is now “existing conditions”.
In this phase the modern world will really be over. People will be living it in its aftermath.
I would not be surprised if the modern world inspires another culture into a specific direction. It will be totally different than the “WM culture” and the modern world it created, though. In this case, the creation of the “WM culture” will serve as something like a base or guide for their culture to develop, which will be totally different in orientation and outlook. This will not be the “modern world” as we know it . . . who knows what it will be . . .
AFTERTHOUGHT . . . ITS ALL ABOUT POWER AFTER ALL
It seems as if a cycle is being demonstrated, of a rise and fall of an era (see my article “Thoughts on the phases of Victorian society – defining what an “era” is“).
- There develops a “WM culture”.
- They create a way of doing things.
- It is implemented and turned into a form.
- The modern world is created.
- This proves to have great power and influence.
- It causes great social and world tensions.
- It becomes a power.
- There develops power struggles (“everyone wants a piece of the pie”).
- This causes a deterioration of the “WM culture” and WM in general.
- This impacts society and the modern world.
- The modern world deteriorates and fades.
In some respects, its a lesson in one of the effects of power, that when there is a power everyone wants a piece of it, which causes a mad scramble for that power, and this ends up undermining the power in the end.
As I was brought up, in the “WM culture”, there is the belief that there was an “inherent truth” in science, inventions, the modern world, etc. It was this “truth” that mattered and was made it so great. This is what we sought. Looking back on it now, I can see that this is not true. This point of view, really, is a remnant of Christianity and its preaching of its “inherent truth of Christ” which carried over into science. What made the creation of the “WM culture” great was not an “inherent truth”, as we thought, but the POWER of its effects which, I don’t think, any of us really considered. In the end, it was power, not truth, that determined things.
The idea of “power” was something that I never really saw mentioned in the “WM culture”, at least the form I was brought up with. Since the “WM culture” was created on the tail end of Christianity, with its emphasis on “true religion”, everything revolved about the idea of truth. This eventually became “de-religionified” and turned into science, at least as I saw it. This shows that the “WM culture” is really a “Christianity without Christ”. Because of this, the general attitude was that the “WM culture” sought a truth that would “save” us . . . this is what we are seeking, the great “truth of science”. Power, and its effects, were the furthest from our minds. This is why many WM’s, I believe, still cannot conceive of the idea of the power of their creation or its effects. As a result, many WM’s are oblivious about what their creations have done which is why they are so naïve about it. In this way, the non-WM’s are the ones most familiar with the power of the creations of the “WM culture”. This created a great apprehension of the WM (the ‘WM apprehension’). As a result, it was in them that the power struggles took place, of their desperate attempts and scramblings to have what the WM has.
Copyright by Mike Michelsen